Cannabis, Healthy Sleep, and Alzheimer’s Disease
EEG (electroencephalograph) data showing unhealthy and healthy sleep.
(orange = difficulty sleeping)
CLICK TO ENLARGE
about cannabis, healthy sleep, and Alzheimer’s Disease
Joana Fernandes, Ph.D, “Chronic Lack of Sleep May Raise Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease, Study Suggests” Alzheimer’s News Today, July 17, 2017, https://alzheimersnewstoday.com/2017/07/17/alzheimers-risk-may-be-worsened-by-chronic-sleep-deprivation-study-sugggests/
I. Promoting Restorative (Slow Wave) and REM Sleep
1. R. Tringale, MD and C. Jensen, MD, “Cannabis and Insomnia,” O’Shaughnessy’s, Autumn 2011, p 31-32, http://cannabisclinicians.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Insomnia-Tringale.pdf)
2. Sean Drummond, Ph.D, Abstract. Sleep and Medicinal Cannabis, CMCR (publication of study results pending completion of article for publication), http://www.cmcr.ucsd.edu/index.php/2015-11-20-20-52-15/completed-studies/33-sleep-and-medicinal-cannabis
II. Brain Cleaning, Sleep, and Neurodegenerative Disease
3. Goodnight. Sleep clean. New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/opinion/sunday/goodnight-sleep-clean.html?_r=0 .
4. Cannabinoids remove plaque-forming Alzheimer’s proteins from brain cells, Salk Institute, June 27, 2016 – Preliminary lab studies at the Salk Institute find THC reduces beta amyloid proteins in human neurons, https://www.salk.edu/news-release/cannabinoids-remove-plaque-forming-alzheimers-proteins-from-brain-cells/
5. Sleep Drives Metabolite Clearance from the Adult Brain, Science Magazine, http://www.sciencemag.org/content/342/6156/373 .
6. Something to Sleep On, MD Magazine, http://www.hcplive.com/contributor/smita-patel-do/2015/07/something-to-sleep-on .
7. Could Body Posture During Sleep Affect How Your Brain Clears Waste? Stony Brook University – Stony Brook Newsroom, http://sb.cc.stonybrook.edu/news/general/150804sleeping.php .
8. Sleep (and specifically Slow-Wave Sleep), Older Adults, and Memory, Aging in America: Long Term Care & Aging In the 21st Century, https://olderadults.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/sleep-and-memory .
9. Cohen’s Brain Bits: Brainsweeper, MedPage Today, http://www.medpagetoday.com/Blogs/CohensBrainBits/53074?xid=nl_mpt_DHE_2015-08-15&eun=g592475d0r .
10. Structural and functional features of central nervous system lymphatic vessels, Nature, http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7560/full/nature14432.html
11. Seniors who don’t sleep well have higher levels of an Alzheimer’s biomarker, study says, Washington Post, Health and Science, 10/28/13 (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/seniors-who-dont-sleep-well-have-higher-levels-of-an-alzheimers-biomarker-study-says/2013/10/28/5cf96d98-3c23-11e3-a94f-b58017bfee6c_story.html).
12. Self-reported Sleep and b-Amyloid Deposition in Community-Dwelling Older Adults, JAMA Neurology, December 2013, Vol. 70, No. 12; http://archneur.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1788611&resultClick=3).
13. The Potential Therapeutic Effects of THC on Alzheimer’s Disease, Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, http://hscweb3.hsc.usf.edu/blog/2014/08/27/marijuana-compound-may-offer-treatment-alzheimers-disease-usf-preclinical-study-finds).
III. Hypothermia and Body Temperature
14. Estimation of the hypothermic component in neuroprotection provided by cannabinoids following cerebral ischemia, Neurochem Int., http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16730099).
15. A Cooling Effect from Cannabis, 420 Magazine, http://www.420magazine.com/forums/medical-marijuana-facts-information/79115-cooling-effect-cannabis.html) .
16. Effects of opioids, cannabinoids, and vanilloids on body temperature, Frontiers in Bioscience, https://www.bioscience.org/2011/v3s/af/190/fulltext.htm).
17. Cooling core body temperature may slow down neurodegeneration, CNS Spectr., http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18323756 ).
18. Hibernation protein could help repair dementia damage, National Health Service, NHS Choices, http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/01january/pages/hibernation-protein-could-help-repair-dementia-damage.aspx).
IV. Neurogenesis, Cannabis, Sleep, and Inflammation
19. Regulation of adult neurogenesis by stress, sleep disruption, exercise and inflammation: Implications for depression and antidepressant action, European Neuropsychopharmacology, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19748235).
20. Sleep and adult neurogenesis: Implications for Cognition and Mood, Current Topics of Behavioral Neuroscience, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24218292).
21. Cannabis and the Brain, a User’s Guide. NORML http://norml.org/component/zoo/category/cannabis-and-the-brain-a-user-s-guide#Neurogenesis
22. Ways Cannabis Helps Fight Alzheimer’s. Leaf Science http://www.leafscience.com/2014/03/20/5-ways-cannabis-help-fight-alzheimers/.